Monday, March 14, 2011

Tsunami? What Tsunami?


Thursday night we were up all night watching the news of Japan's earthquake and listening to the local tsunami sirens go off every hour. It was quite exciting listening to the news reporters talk about the wave that was heading directly to our little island. When the sirens started, we noticed a lot of our neighbors getting into their cars to go who-knows-where, even though we are in a safe zone. I think they were heading for the grocery store since the news reporters kept stressing the need to have at least a week's worth of food on hand.

Joey was a little afraid and wanted to spend the night in our room. We all watched TV until the wee hours. The tsunami was expected to hit Kauai around 3:00 a.m.

I fell asleep before anything happened other than the sirens.

About 4:00 a.m. our phone started ringing, a couple of people from the mainland (where it was later) asking if we were okay.

We were fine.

I thought maybe things would be interesting at work on Friday. I wondered if I'd do ER-type work. I wondered if I'd even be able to get to work since the road there goes right along the beach.

Well, the drive was totally normal. The road was totally normal. Then work was totally normal. The strangest thing about the tsunami was that it didn't seem to hit Kauai at all, at least from my point of view.

So it turned out to be kind of fun, because we had all the excitement with none of the bad stuff. Kauai is still heaven on earth!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Sounds exciting. Glad you guys are safe and nothing happened :) Love you all

GINGERSPICE said...

So glad you're safe, thought of you quite a bit!!! How exciting to be there, I am really wishing we were living there right now. These winters are sooooooooooo long.

Mindy Hawks said...

So, I have had a number of people tell me that they wish you would blog more, and I agree! LOL! We need more updates on what you guys are up to!