Friday, January 7, 2011

Oh, The Humidity

A while back I mentioned on my blog that there was an unidentified fruit in our yard, then later I mentioned that it was passion fruit, or liliqoi (I'm not sure I spelled that right). The plant now has blossoms on it and they are amazingly beautiful. I know, I'm always saying that things on this island are amazingly beautiful, but it's always true. This island is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! Here is a picture of the passion fruit blossom from our yard.


Don't you agree? Amazingly beautiful?
On to the humidity topic. It's probably common knowledge that Hawaii (tropical jungle) is more humid than Colorado (high altitude desert). It's especially humid here in the so-called winter. There are some things about the humidity that I really like and some things that I don't care for so much. Some things about the humidity that I like:
* I can breathe better, less stuffy nose.
*My skin is softer. I have not put lotion on my hands one single time since I moved here and in Colorado my hands were so dry in the winter that they would crack and bleed.
*Bottles of stuff like soap and sunscreen that have a pump-top don't get a dried-up blob on the end of them that makes the pump not work.
*Wet wipes stay wet, even in the hot car, even in the hot car for weeks and weeks.
*Amazingly beautiful plants grow everywhere.
Things about the humidity that I don't care for very much:
*Gum gets really gross in my purse. It gets wet and sticky. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but when you try to open a piece, it sticks to the wrapper and looks and feels like ABC gum.
*Food gets soggy. We have all our cereal, crackers, stuff like that in plastic containers in the cupboard to keep them from getting soggy.

*My hair is straight and when I curl it, it goes straight again after about five minutes.
*Mold grows in the shower if you don't clean it often enough. Yuck.
*Towels get stinky if you try to hang them up and use them more than one day.
*Hard candies liquify and melt into their wrappers and on to the counter tops.
*If you set a glass of cold liquid on any surface, you end up with a huge puddle of condensation. We even get a puddle underneath the glass table, clinging to the upside-down surface (does that make sense?).

6 comments:

Angela said...

Wow this is really interesting! I always complain about the dry desert air here (especially in winter) because like you, my hands get so dry that they crack on my knuckles, no matter how much lotion I use. I usually love being in humid places, no need for chapstick, lotion, stuff like that. That is crazy how you get condensation on the bottom of your table! I guess that's what happens when you live in the wettest place in the WORLD!!

Harold or Carol said...

Diane is complaining about the humidity in Missouri also. She has come to the understanding that perms are a waste of time. Thoroughly enjoying your blog.

GINGERSPICE said...

Okay, so I am really jealous of you living in Hawaii. I am loving Alaska, but would love to be there as well. It is so beautiful there and so unique. What a great adventure. You look like you NEVER age! What's your secret? :)

Mindy Hawks said...

That's funny because I had to buy a humidifyer to run all night because my skin gets so dry here! That's crazy your cereal goes soggy!

GINGERSPICE said...

Hey Kathy,

Do you happen to have Shawna Hanson's phone number? I cannot find it and I need to get in touch with Her :)

Thank You!!!

Jenny said...

That flower is freaky looking!