Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beach Car

If you hadn't heard, we bought a little beach car. It's a silly little VW Beetle and we are having fun with it. Gas is super expensive in Kauai and so we wanted something that gets good mileage, we wanted something we could buy for cheap, and we wanted something fun. Our little Beetle fits the bill. We keep it loaded up with the boogie boards and beach chairs and use it as our fun car. I also use it to drive back and forth to work (about 54 miles a day) because it's better on gas than our Ford. I think we will never be able to get the sand from our feet vacuumed out of it, but we don't care.
This is a view of the NaPali Coast taken from a look out at Koke'e. This is the closest you can get to the NaPali Coast unless you take a helicopter or boat. The day we went the air was really "voggy" so the view is hazy. "Vog" is a smog-like mist that comes from the volcano on Big Island and it looks like you're in a cloud. You can't smell it or anything; it just makes the air hazy.




At Koke'e we saw lillies growing wild. I took pictures because I knew I had certain daughters who LOVE lillies.



There were also hydrangeas growing EVERYWHERE. It's cool to see things growing wild outside that I've only seen in houseplants and floral shops before.





6 comments:

christy said...

Sooo fun!! I've been watching to see what new adventures you have to talk about! It's been fun. What a fun and neat experience you are able to have right now...one that most of us dream about:)

Mindy Hawks said...

Do you remember when I was younger and I would always say when I could drive I wanted a " new" beetle?

Angela said...

I love the Lily picture!! I can't believe they grow wild there. If we have another girl I want to name her Lily. :) Also the picture of the Napali coast is AWESOME! We are SOOO freaking excited to come see you guys!!!!!!!!!!!! The kids ask EVERY day if we're going to Hawaii! I also can't believe the scenery in the picture of the new Beetle... which is quite the improvement BTW from the yellow beetle we had when we were kids that had springs sticking through the back seat!! LOL!!!

Linda said...

Hi Jessica's Mom! I got a message from Jessica that she had the babies but haven't been able to talk to her. I know she is recovering and has other things to do, so I thought MAYBE if you check this, you could call me or write me with an update. I have been thinking about her all day and are praying that the babies are ok. If you get this and have a second, will you call me? My number is 208-313-7230. THANK YOU! Congrats Grandma of twins!

Linda said...

Thanks Kathy for the update! I have been so concerned about the babies so I am glad to hear they are doing well. Jessica sent me pictures this morning!! They are so precious and such sweet little miracles!

GINGERSPICE said...

I think I'm tired of the cold, your blog makes me want to move to Hawaii. Is this a permanent move for you guys? It is so beautiful and WARM there. Jealous.

My email is gingerspice78@hotmail.com Would you mind sending me Shawna's number? Thanks Kathy.