Monday, December 13, 2010

Feathered Friends

There are so many things to love about this magical place called Kauai, but our feathered friends are one of my favorites.

These beautiful birds are called Brazilian Cardinals and they always hang out near the pool. Joey has started bringing crackers outside with him so he can feed them when he goes swimming.

Mike almost got one to eat out of his hand today.

Kauai has chickens EVERYWHERE!!! I love them. They are at the airport, the hospital, the school, the church, the mall, the grocery store, everywhere. Here are some in our yard.


A mama and her babies in our yard.





This mama had nine chicks and we fed them cracker crumbs so they like us now.




Here she is looking into our house, waiting for food. Her chicks are all hidden under her belly.


There are chickens at the beaches.


I think it's really funny that we lived on a farm in Colorado and we had no chickens for the last several years. Then we move to a condo in Hawaii and every morning, we wake to the crowing of roosters. A lot of people here complain about the roosters, but I absolutely love the sound of them. They don't wake me up anymore; I guess I'm used to them. I love to listen to them crowing and to the clucking and chirping of the hens and chicks.

You might be wondering if there's chicken poo everywhere, but there really isn't. Maybe the nightly rain washes it away, I don't know, but it really isn't a problem.
I love the chickens!

5 comments:

Angela said...

This is so funny because just tonight Ryan asked me what kind of animals live on Kauai and I told him the only ones I know of are the chickens!! haha!! That's so funny how they hang around your back door waiting for crackers. The babies are so cute too!

Kathy&Mike said...

Ange, there are also wild pigs but you don't see them much. One night I was driving home at 4:00 am from work and I saw one cross the road right in front of me. Pretty strange!

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

You LOVE chickens?!? You are so weird :)

Kathy&Mike said...

I know, Mindy, but being weird is so much more fun than being normal!!!!

GINGERSPICE said...

Haha, true that Kathy. Being weird is way more fun!! I love reading about your experiences in Hawaii!