Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cane Spider

Since we moved to Hawaii, people have told us about cane spiders.  I was told that cane spiders have been known to send many a Haoli screaming back to the mainland.  Today we finally saw one.  It greeted me in our garage when I got home from work.  Like all of our Hawaii pictures, this one doesn't do the real thing justice.  It was very big and impressive.

The stick in the picture is a broom handle, so you can sort of tell how big the spider is.  Because I had been expecting to someday see one, I didn't freak out.  I just did a little gasp and called Mike the Mighty Bug Hunter to come get it.  He got it on the mop and took it outside.

I honestly don't think I have ever purposely allowed a spider to live before, but this one was magnificent and I know that he is not only harmless to humans, but beneficial.  He eats mosquitos, flies, and cockroaches.  I am WAY more afraid of cockroaches than of spiders.