Monday, August 1, 2011

Geckos

I remember my first few days on Kauai. I was staying at a sort of junky hotel while I looked for a place to live. One night while I was talking to Mike on the phone, a creature ran across the wall in my hotel room. I freaked out, just a little. I remember zipping closed my suit case so the lizard would not get in it. Ha! Ha!

Now I know better. The little lizards here are geckos and they are my friends. They eat really bad creatures like mosquitos, flies and cockroaches. They come in various shades of yellow, brown and green. They are really cute when they walk, with their little bodies wiggling like they are dancing. They make a really cool sound when they talk to each other at night, kind of a "click-click-click" sound.

The picture is a gecko on screen to the glass door in our living room. We watched it eat bugs off the screen and it was quite entertaining.

Now that I'm a little more savvy about the tropics, I really love the geckos. We get an occasional one in our house and I don't mind at all, except that sometimes they poop on the walls.

3 comments:

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

They ARE kinda cute! Don't worry, I would have freaked out a little too (and I probably would have zipped up my suitcase!)

Chapman Family said...

Hey, ya I am back to blogging. I thought it was a good way to start journaling. So I am trying to catch up for the last 2 years. I hope you are doing well and your grandbaby is ok. luv Michelle

Linda said...

Hi Kathy,
Hey I just made my blog private.... ugh... I explain it all on my blog. If you want an invite, please send me your e-mail address. Linda_seth (at sign) yahoo.com

thanks!