Friday, May 13, 2011

Happy Birthday One-Year-Old

Here in Hawaii it is tradition to have REALLY big birthday parties for babies when they turn one year old. When we went to the birthday party for my friend Carol's daughter (see last month's post) I thought it was larger than life since there were about 100 people there for a 9-year-old's party. Carol had rented half of a pizza restaurant.

Now I know that Carol's party for her daughter was nothing compared to the parties people do here for their one-year-olds. Here is an example:

This is posted on the bulletin board at work and we are all invited. In case you can't read the fine print, it says:

FIRST BIRTHDAY CIRCUS
THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!

Saturday June 11
Kekaha Harbor House

FOOD
Inflatable Slide
Face Painting
Train Ride
Hypnosis
Airbrush Tattoo
Balloon Twisting
Cotton Candy
Shaved Ice
Carnival Games
Happy the Clown
FUN
GAMES

DON'T CLOWN AROUND COME & JOIN THE FUN!
BYOB

This baby's mama, who is my co-worker, told me that she expects -- you'll never believe how many people -- for this birthday party: EIGHT HUNDRED! That's right, 800 people.
I don't think I even KNOW 800 people, let alone know them well enough to provide a party for them for my baby's birthday.

WOW! Hawaiians sure do know how to have fun!

Incidently, my friend Carol explained where this elaborate party thing came from. She says that traditionally in the Philippines, a large number of babies did not live to see their first birthday, so when they did, it was cause for great celebration. 'Makes sense to me.

2 comments:

Mindy Hawks said...

When I saw the title of this post I thought it would be about Ashlyn! Here party was nothing like that. I don't think people even invite 800 people to their weddings, that is crazy!

Kathy&Mike said...

I knew you would think it was about Ashlyn and I guess it should have been!