Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Aunt Ruby Lee




Yesterday a wonderful person left this world very suddenly. Mike's Aunt Ruby had a sudden heart attack and went home to be with the rest of her family. She has spent her life serving others and she will be sorely missed. I'm remembering all the times that Ruby was there for us during special events in our lives. She was often the only family member that Mike had to be with him. She was a second mother to him.
Ruby was the person people called when they were in need. When someone had surgery or an accident or when someone died, Ruby was first on the scene to see what was needed and to provide help. She often coordinated the efforts of others to help also. No more will my phone ring and that pleasant voice say, "Kathy, this is Aunt Ruby. Can you help with food for (someone in need)?"
What will we do when no one is there to direct the music in Sacramant Meeting? Ruby was always the first one to stand up and volunteer. She did the same for Relief Society just last week.
Ruby left this world while in the service of others. She mowed her sister's lawn shortly before she went and she was going to her car to take her sister to an appointment when the heart attack hit. My heart goes out to Aunt Betty, who will miss Ruby so much, I'm sure.
Ruby leaves a beautiful legacy for the rest of us to aspire to. I love her so much and I will miss her and think of her often. I can only imagine the joy she is experiencing right now, in the arms of her loved ones that she has been missing, and in the arms of our Savior.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. She was obviously a very wonderful and caring person. Thank goodness for the eternal perspective the gospel gives us. We love you!

TJ and Jessica said...

That was a beautiful post, Mom. And you're so right, she was such a caring person. I was remembering this morning when we were younger and Ruby was the first one to call us on our birthdays. I love the last paragraph.

Kathy&Mike said...

Oh, I forgot about the birthday phone calls! How sad that they won't be coming anymore.

GINGERSPICE said...

Hi Kathy,

I didn't realize this was who passed away! I am so sorry for the loss. I noticed on your facebook you posted a link to your blog. I hope you don't mind that I took a peek.

You have a beautiful blog. I have a gift for you I picked up this week in Salt Lake....

Ginger

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute.

I love Ruby. She was like another grandma to me. She was quick to give praise and encouragement.

Everyone I've talked to loved her and was touched by her in one way or another.

I wanted to be there for her funeral, but a friend in need called me early Saturday morning. I knew that Ruby would have wanted me to help her.

She has left behind an amazing legacy of service. We are all better off for knowing her.

Kathy&Mike said...

Ginger, I don't mind at all that you look at my blog. Sometimes I feel like nobody looks at it so I'm wasting my time... but it's fun so I want to continue it.
Thanks everyone for your beautiful comments. I love you all.
Kathy