Friday, May 21, 2010

chiropractic woes (really long, read only if you're bored)

Once upon a time, I had a great chiropractor. He was kind, caring, skilled at adjusting my back, and hardly ever said anything too weird. Then my lovely insurance company decided he was not "in network" and wouldn't pay for his care anymore. My quest began for a new chiropractor.

Here is what I want from a chiropractor: Adjust my neck and back to help the pain go away.

Here is what I do not want from a chiropractor: Try to sell me some miraculous supplement or try to sell me the idea that you can cure everything from infertility to cancer.

I really wanted to find a doctor within about 5 miles from where I live, so I checked out the ones listed by BCBS as "in network." I first came up with Dr. S.

Dr. S's office is in the top of a dilapidated building next to the railroad tracks that also houses a dog-grooming business and a barber shop. When I first entered, I was assaulted by the stench of very strong cigarette smoke, which I hate. The office was shabby. In the waiting area there was a worn couch with an old afgan thrown over the top, a couple of wilting plants and some out-dated Yoga Journals. Dr. S greeted me and I sized up his appearance from head to toe: long, unruly hair, beard and mustache, faded t-shirt with a slogan on it, baggy shorts, completed by hiking sandals over hairy feet.

He led me into the treatment room, where I was instructed to remove all clothing from the waist up and put on a hospital gown. I settled myself on the treatment table and listened to a train rolling by while I looked at the faded home-made shabby curtain over the window.

When Dr. S was finished with my treatment, I decided he wasn't so bad. He did a lot of massage of my back and neck and just a tiny bit of adjusting or popping. I did feel better, so I made another appointment.

I should clarify here that my insurance pays for 100%, yes, that's one hundred percent of chiropractic care after I've met my deductible for each year. Well, after several visits to Dr. S I got a bill in the mail for $155. I called his bookkeeper/billing clerk (who is also his wife and this was his home phone) to ask what was up. She said my insurance pays only for adjustments, not for massages, so the bill was for the massages. Hmmm... that's a lot to pay for care that is one hundred percent covered by insurance, especially when I never suspected that I was there for a massage, I thought I was there for chiropractic care. Can't do it!

So, with pain in my neck, I made an appointment with Dr. G. The office was pleasant, clean and modern. I was not super happy to see the adjustment table sitting right in the waiting room, within view of everyone who might be there. I was greeted by the receptionist,who was obnoxiously perky and who was wearing short pants with spikey high heels, and asked to fill out patient paperwork. The first thing on the paperwork was this statement, "At birth, most people are already affected by damage to the spinal column and local nerve system due to the trauma of the delivery process." Wow, I was born already damaged? Pretty depressing.

What followed was an hour and forty minutes of pure torture. I felt like I was at an Amway convention. The "doctor" spent this entire time giving me a sales pitch on the benefits of chiropractic and "educating" me on how damaged my body was. I kept thinking, "I know I'm damaged. Just fix me, please." He talked like a time-share salesman, using catch prases like "spinal layers of injury" and "subluxation degeneration." A lot of what he said was pure baloney, like "in a normal, uncomplicated birth there is an 80% chance of injury and a 10% chance of death to the baby." After 100 minutes of sitting on a hard chair listening to a high-pressure sales pitch, my neck was killing me worse than ever. At this point, Dr. G says I need to make another appointment for two days from now, to go over his findings and hear his recommendation for care. I was hurting, dissapointed in how the appointment had gone, and getting very frustrated, but I agreed, thinking maybe all this torture would be worth it when he finally gets his hands on my back.

This morning I went back to Dr. G for my follow-up visit. I was first required to watch a 10-minute video that said the same crap he had spouted for so long on Wednesday. Then Dr. G came in and showed me diagrams of my back and neck and how damaged I am, again saying the same ole sales pitch that I had memorized by now. He said, "I had spinal surgery when I was nineteen. That's what makes me a great doctor. I've been there." A GREAT DOCTOR!!! Get over yourself, you Amway Distributor!!!! Then Dr. G said, "I will accept you for chiropractic care if you'll committ to having an open mind and doing your part." Excuse me, I didn't know I had just spent three days and $240 to be interviewed to see if you would "accept me." He also said I am required to attend a meeting called "new patient orientation" and that I have to bring another prospective patient with me, "no one is allowed to come alone."

When the written treatment plan was placed before me, I could take no more. He was asking me to pay $736.75 for eight weeks of treatment, this was AFTER the insurance paid their part. Then, I was to pay $131.70 per month for the rest of forever for him to do "what he thinks I need" as follow-up care, again this was AFTER my insurance paid their part. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Why would I pay for care that's 100% covered by my insurance if only the so-called doctor would bill it appropriately??

So I am still hurting and back to square one. I'm going to call my old, great, normal-person chiropractor and ask him what'll it cost me to come back. PLEASE!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always had a healthy skepticism of chiropractors. It comes from growing up in a surgeons home. That being said, I know that there are a few honest DCs out there.
I am curious though, have you thought about seeing a physiatrist and maybe doing some trigger point injections? They can sometimes provide a longer duration of relief than adjustments. Do you know what the source of your pain is? Are there any physiatrists in GJ?

Nate

Angela said...

Holy cow Mom! That is awful! Just yesterday I was telling Ryan that I wish I could find a chiropractor who would just pop my back and not want to know everything from my menstral cycles to my kidneys. Why can't they just stick with what they're trained to do?! They think that they're these wholistic healers or something. I hope you can find someone soon. I have been having that same pain in my lower back that started when Megan was a baby and I threw it out so badly. Do you remember that? It is recurring and comes back every few months or so. Sorry for all your struggles, I hope you find someone soon. :) love you!!

PS... Nate, what is a physiatrist and how do I find one?

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

PSS... do you remember when I saw a chiropractor in Fruita (still back from when Megan was a baby) I think it was the one over by the train tracks that you were talking about. He recommended that I go to a health foods store and buy grapefruit seed extract and drink it with cranberry juice for three days to cleanse my kidneys. This was his diagnosis of my sore back. So... not knowing any better, I did as he instructed and made myself insanely sick for three days... and still had my sore back. Like I said, they are not doctors, why can't they just pop your back and be done with it!

Edwards. said...

I know of a good physical therapist that could adjust your back and neck, in fact I am looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks so that he can do the same for me! :) Hes a great man, and totally normal. But what can I say, I'm kind of bias! Sounds like a bit of a mess though with all those chiropractors. I have a couple of friends here that swear by them, that they "cure" their kids ear infections. Some take their new born babes, their first month of being out of the womb, to a chiropractor to be adjusted because of the trama they face when being born. Crazy! Good Luck!Hopefully you find someone soon because living with neck pain is the worst!

Unknown said...

Its so highly informative things are posted here. These things are the fresh and having good information are posted here, and also am seeking for this kind of information thanks for updated..
Chiropractic Services